Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Searching for something to Teach

I spent ALL day yesterday online reading through forums, looking for handouts, looking at sites that had ideas and information for photography teachers, and a number of other things. I found a few videos on youtube.com from a guy that has his own website that has photography lessons all typed up. He had a video on aperture, shutter speed, and exposure. He explains them quite well in just a few minutes each. I think I'll show them the videos and then try to answer and more questions they have on it. I want to make sure they understand. I then went to his website and the first lesson has a bunch of questions about what you want to shoot, what you want to use your photography for, and a ton of other things too. Tomorrow I'm going to have them write responses to all the questions. I bought each of my students a journal last night and I'm planning on having them write in them every week during class and I'd like for them to carry them around to write down ideas or questions they think of during the week. They'll probably hate me for it but I think it will be good for them to realize some of those things.

Last night Nina and I went out for supper and had to pick up a few things at the store. I wanted to stop in at the mall to go to the bookstore and see if they had any photography books that might be helpful. They had a small rack with some clearance books on it and I quickly found two digital photography books! I was quite happy to find something so cheap (one was $7.99 and the other was $4.99)!!! I got the $7.99 one because it looked like it would be the best and I'll use it for myself when I get back to school. I wish I could've gotten them each one but I don't have that kind of money and there were only 4 or 5 of them there. Anyways, the book has several different sections in it including equipment, Lens and focusing, light, composition, fixing your images, advanced correction and creative editing, and one on printing and sharing. I think it'll be helpful to both me and the students.

I'm not working in the cafe today because Mrs. Stanton is coming in. I'll be down there tomorrow through Sabbath though. So, for today I'm planning on going through the book a bit more and pinning down exactly what we're going to do in class tomorrow.

No comments: